So, I got the model primed this morning before work and snapped a couple pictures. First after the issues I ran into with using 'Clear Gesso' for priming(See this previous article), I decided to get some Black Gesso from Michaels for this model. I did not want the graininess that I was seeing on the AI models. Here are some shots of the Ent goobered up. I basically used the Gesso right out of the container without thinning it. My understanding is you get better coverage without detail loss.
Eight hours later: Well its been all day and the Gesso is dried. See the shots below. As you can see there is still very good detail and it appears only a couple spots need a second touch up of Gesso. I put this into the success column.
After the touch up was dried I added a all over base coat of Delta Ceramcoat ' Burnt Umber' I felt this gives a nice dark brown base color that I can then build up from with lighter browns. Also the darker color should give me a richer color in the shadows. Hopefully we will see this in later color applications. I also used this as a base coat for the base itself. Later colors will not match though as I want a contrast between the model and its scenic base.
After the base coat was fully dried I applied a heavy dry brushing of Delta Ceramcoat 'Brown Iron Oxide'. This is the first of a few lighter shades of brown to give the wood grain nice definition.
Well. So far I think I am getting along quite well. There is nothing like having to catch up on painting and having a looming deadline coming up soon. Hopefully I will get this done and be happy with the final finished work.
Tell me what you all think. Obviously I am still early on in this effort and would welcome any comments and suggestions to help get this model to be a top notch finished product!