Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Conversion: Grey Knight Grandmaster

Well. I got my GK Grandmaster conversion done. Nothing too crazy and honestly it was a basically simple conversion.

Parts used:
  • Terminator Chaplain Body - 9947010131501
  • Grey Knight Force Halberd 1 - 9947010700613
  • Grey Knight Psycannon - 9947010700610
  • DA Hooded Head w/ Face - Bit from DA Upgrade Sprue

To create this conversion I had to use my dremel and a grinding bit to grind out the skull mask head from the metal Chaplain body. A bit tricky as I needed it completely removed without removing any of the surrounding detail on the armour. Also had to remove the wings(BA) above the head and the wings(BA) on the left leg. Arms attached using pins to secure them and the hooded head was cut to match the placement in the new socket created from removing the old face.

Nothing painted yet, but here are the pre-primered shots. Hopefully I will get a chance to finish this model up sometime.

5 comments:

Space Hulk Enthusiast said...

Looks great, very imposing.
Will the base be simple or are you planning nything additional for it too?

jlong05 said...

Generally I work on the base last. After I have completed painting the model and can then decide what 'look' I want the base to be.

I was thinking though of some sort of Lava base look. Something like a deamon infested world where you most likely would find a Grey Knight. I also have been thinking of maybe a Temple Ruin base as that would also work well I think.

Do you have any recommendations for a base for such an important figure? Also, what do you think about basing him on a larger base? Not sure if this will be a problem for game use though.

dvdhwk said...

Looks good. Can't wait to see it painted.

In 40k, you can always base a model on a larger base than the one it came with. It is perfectly legal under 4th, and supposedly it will continue to be so under 5th.

If you want a lava base, and want to do something that is easily reproducible across an entire army, you can do what I do for my chaos armies, which the wallpaper from Lowes. To see what it looks like painted, check out any of my chaos stuff on my blog.

Space Hulk Enthusiast said...

There are lots of different approaches. For my characters (and a 40mm base is plenty big for him I think), I like to add a little something that keeps in the theme with the rest of the army. It help's visually I think.

Some kind of ruins would look good. Of course the lava things seems to be real popular these days and I wouldn't be suprised to see it popping up everywhere as a the basing method for all the new daemon armies coming up soon.

Either way, I found as long as it gets the attention the model standing on top of it does, it won't detract from the overall look.

jlong05 said...

Great suggestions guys. I still don't know which way I will go. I like the idea of the lava style due to the deamons and such, but have a feeling I woudln't keep that through the entire Army.

At least with my plans of allying the Grandmaster to my DA W/RW army. I will probably go with the Ruined Temple, which I would also keep through the rest of the DA Army. That woudl also allow the Kill team to be used as the cobblestone is templeish in look also.

As for painting, I still have to get the rest of my Grey Company painted for the GT here. Maybe I can devote time to him afterward, although I did just get a bunch of Warmachine stuff via trade and am really looking forward to assembly and painting of the Menoth models I have for that.