Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Batrep: Grey Company vs Angmar and vs Mordor

Played this yesterday afternoon. Great games overall.

Good: The Grey Company (Aragorn's Return) - 599pts
  • Aragorn(Anduril, Bow, Elven Cloak)
  • 2x Rangers of Arnor(Spear)
  • Rangers of Arnor
  • Ranger of the North(Spear)
  • Rangers of Arnor(Spear)
  • 2x Rangers of Arnor
  • Ranger of the North(Spear)
  • Rangers of Arnor(Spear)
  • 2x Rangers of Arnor
  • Ranger of the North(Spear)
  • Rangers of Arnor(Spear)
  • 2x Rangers of Arnor
  • Ranger of the North
  • Rangers of Arnor(Spear)
  • 2x Rangers of Arnor
  • Ranger of the North
  • Rangers of Arnor(Spear)
  • 2x Rangers of Arnor
  • Ranger of the North
  • Rangers of Arnor(Spear)
  • 2x Rangers of Arnor
Model Count: 28
Might: 9 + Mighty Warrior
Bow Count: 28

First game: To Kill a King

I played my Grey Company and was arrayed against a nicely modeled Angmar force. Unfortunately for them the scenario rolled was to kill a king. As we lined up I was able to use terrain to great effect by forcing my opponent to cross a river slowing his movement.

Basically my tactic here was to set Aragorn with 3 Arnor rangers and 3 Rangers of the North with 3 Arnor rangers each as roving squads who made slow advances towards the enemy lines shooting. I also had 3 Rangers of the north with 9 Arnor rangers who grouped in a double line for Volley fire.

Volley fire in the past has been very hit and miss for me(Mainly miss) but it worked out this time as in the first round I scored a hit on the enemy leader(Buhrdur) causing him to burn his fate right away.

The second round accounted for 2 more wounds on Buhrdur and then a final wound was scored at the beginning of round 3 ending the game. It was the fastest game I had ever played, but I see how my force is uniquely designed to succeed at that scenario.

Outcome: Major Victory

Second game: Reconnoiter

In this match-up I played my Grey Company and was opposed by a horde of Mordor Orcs. Oh the humanity! As we lined up terrain was less of a concern as the objective was to move to the other side anyways. I got the honor of lining up first, but in hindsight given my lower number of models I think setting up last would have been better!

As it turned out the enemy force lined up on my side of the river leaving a single Ranger of the North a 3 Arnor ranger on the far side alone. This allowed him to move up the side of the table basically unbothered during the game.

The main force I arrayed in 2 sets of volley fire lines. Aragorn set up with one group on the right side of my line allowing the other group to cover the middle and rivers edge. The enemy lined up with a large force of Warg riders on Aragorn's side and Orc spearmen in double rows behind. The middle was held by Mordor Uruk Hai and an Armored Troll. And finally the other side by the river was being held by a line of Orc archers and orcs with hand weapons for support.

Here again my shooting was both a blessing and a curse. I was able to whittle down the Wargs to only a single model left. Once combat started Aragorn was an absolute monster taking down all opponents he came into contact with. His might hero ability really stood out here.

Unfortunately, the Troll was able to make contact with my other line and was about to eat through it when time was called.

Outcome: Draw (but had time continued I didn't have the sufficient numbers to stop all the orcs and most likely I would have received a Minor Loss had the game continued to the 2.5 hour normal game time limit.)

No comments: